For children between the ages of two and five, reading storybooks is perhaps the most preferred thing parents choose to do. The most common reason behind this is most children fall asleep quickly while listening to stories about princes and fairies.
Reading storybooks to young children obviously has many advantages, but hardly any parent is fully aware of them. Therefore, parents must comprehend the different benefits of reading books to children, so that they get encouraged to take up this activity more often.
- Stronger Bond with Parents: When you read a storybook to your child, you two lie down side by side, and snuggle and cuddle in the bed. The close physical proximity helps to increase the bond between you and your child.
- Helps to Increase Vocabulary: The best way to increase the vocabulary of a child is by conversation, and reading aloud a story to your child is also a kind of conversation you make. The ever-inquisitive minds of children will make you stop immediately the moment they fail to understand the meaning of a word. As you let them know the meaning, they keep it in mind and use it in conversations later on.
- Helps to Enhance Concentration: When you read out a story to your child, make sure that you urge him to pay complete attention. Listening to the stories intently will increase discipline and the level of concentration of your child. It will help your child be a good listener in the future.
- Reading Teaches Morals: Songs and videos are useful tools to set up moralistic values in your child. However, a book does it in a more expressive and imaginative way. A simple fairytale where honesty and kindness win over laziness, greed, and jealousy is a wonderful apparatus for imbibing your kid with good values.
- Academic Brilliance: The most effective impact which reading books can have on the minds of young children is that it increases their overall learning aptitude. It is normally seen that kids who come in contact with books before they start going to a school have a better ability to do well in their academic life.
- Reduces Stress: Although young, children also experience anxiety and stress. Children need their own fairyland where swashbuckling princes defeat the moustache-twirling villains. Listening to stories in children’s books revolving around fairies and other fantastical creatures reduce stress and calm their minds.
- Enhances Logical Thinking: Reading storybooks to children enhances their ability to develop good judgments, get a better grip on abstract concepts, and apply logic carefully. It is extremely beneficial if your kid can carry them out in his or her own life from such a tender age.